Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Hyouka - Episode 4


Reference to Steins;Gate?

This was a purely dialogue-driven episode. And with Hōtarō there to fill in all the missing gaps in the mystery, there isn't really much to speculate/analyze when it comes to the episode's events. However, with that being said, there is room for speculation regarding the story as a whole. I'm sure that this particular mystery regarding Eru and her uncle has not fully been solved yet. The reason why she cried when her uncle said those mysterious words still remains a mystery. Judging by this, I'm willing to bet that it will not multiple mysteries that the four end up solving, but one main mystery whose solution is dependent on the solutions of several minor mysteries.

One thing I like about Hyouka is how it doesn't consist of your typical murder cases or supernatural stories, but instead, provides viewers with realistic mysteries. That way, it becomes easier to understand the characters and immerse yourself into the story, even to the point of following along with them as they gather clues and present hypotheses, like in this episode. The time in between the laying out of the facts and Hōtarō's deduction is enough for the viewer to come up with their own solution, if they wish to do so, which results in a higher engagement value. Personally, I'm the type of viewer who typically likes to sit back and relax (except in psychological thrillers where I am keen on trying to predict things myself), waiting for everything to be presented to me. Call me lazy or whatever, but that's just how I watch and enjoy my anime.

Although the preview was quite short, it's easy to see from it that Hōtarō is still troubled by something, even after apparently "solving" the mystery regarding Eru's uncle. Judging by his facial expressions, there's more to the mystery than meets the eye and I think he and the other two will be making a trip back to the Chitanda residence for another meeting. For me, I'm curious as to just exactly what was said to Eru that made her cry.

0 comments:

Post a Comment