Saturday, March 24, 2012

Kimi no Iru Machi OVA - Episode 1


Such beautiful ice flowers.

The wait is finally over! Being an avid fan of Kimi no Iru Machi, one of my favorite shōnen romance mangas, I literally jumped out of my seat in excitement when I found out it was getting an OVA. While a full TV series would have been much better, I'm still satisfied with this. The character designs did differ from the manga though, but seeing the characters moving was good enough, in and of itself. Out of all the voices, Eba's was the most surprising. I thought it'd have been lower. If her and Rin's voice actresses swapped places, maybe that would've been better. Artwise, given that OVAs generally have low budget, the animation was decent. The well-executed scene changes caught my attention the most; I especially loved the "train station to river via ripples" transition.

As for the content of the episode itself, the story was taken from Chapters 62 to 67 of the manga with bits of other chapters thrown in. Even for those who haven't read the manga, this type of misunderstanding happens all the time in romance mangas involving complicated relationship polygons. While it worked well in the manga, seeing it animated, along with the BGM, increased the overall impact of the scene. Eba's monologue (which wasn't in the manga during this scene) was a nice addition. I'm sure those who have been in a similar situation will be able to relate to her feelings. A slight issue I had with the episode was how Nanami was depicted as a bad person; someone who tried to purposely ruin Haruto's relationship with Eba. While those who read the manga would know otherwise, I didn't like how this episode will leave first-time viewers of this series with a bad impression of an innocent character.

Overall, it was a good start to the OVA. Hopefully, it'll be popular enough so that it gets considered for a full TV series. As the manga is more or less reaching its end right now, I'd love to see it get animated with a decent budget. A couple of seasons and a few specials would be more than enough, in my opinion. But for now, it's going to be a long wait until episode two is released in June.

0 comments:

Post a Comment