Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 5


Cannot. Unsee.

I have never been more confused after one episode of anime than I am now. While the noticeably different (or poorer) artwork might have contributed to my negative impression of the episode, the fact that it was hard to keep up with, yet didn't have much content, was the episode's downfall, in my opinion. Unlike in the last episode where the heavy and information-rich dialogue did require time to absorb, there was barely any in this episode. Furthermore, I felt there were many questions left unanswered (e.g. Where did the other three go? Assuming the monk died, what happened to his body? Was there a time skip?). The constant uneventful fleeing for the majority of the episode didn't sit too well with me either.

However, I think this turn of events is also positive in a way—in that it introduces the war between the creatures of different colonies/groups/factions/etc. It can be said that this is the true start of Shin Sekai Yori, where the five learn to survive in the wilderness without their Juryoku in an era where it's humanity's number one asset. That said, the preview gives me a feeling that Satoru might end up dying, or at least being subject to an unpleasant situation. I'm curious as to just what he did in order to receive the harsh criticism. Hopefully next week's episode is better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment