Monday, January 16, 2012

Senki Zesshou Symphogear - Episode 2


Why does this have to happen?

To be honest, this episode wasn't really that great when compared to the first one. Maybe it's because the battles against the Noise are starting to get old or the tension between Tsubasa and Hibiki is being emphasized and dragged out too much for my liking; it just doesn't have the charm and flare that Episode 1 had. Nonetheless, the episode was still enjoyable as it explained a bit more about Symphogears and how they work. And just like last week, another cliffhanger is placed at the end of the episode.

Personally, I feel like I'm not going to like the outcome of the imminent battle between Hibiki and Tsubasa. On one hand, I'm rooting for Hibiki because of her great determination to take on the dangerous task of battling the Noise, despite the fact that she has never experienced anything of the sort in her life. Her optimistic and joyful attitude is what I like about her; the total opposite of Tsubasa's personality. But when I look at the situation from Tsubasa's point of view, I start to sympathize with her. Her dislike and cold attitude towards Hibiki is fully justified because it can be argued that Kanade sacrificed her life in order to save Hibiki's. To make things worse for Tsubasa, Kanade's relic is apparently inside of Hibiki, further reminding her about the death of her dearest friend, partner and companion. I would be surprised if they wiped out another poster character in the next episode like they did with Kanade. It doesn't seem like a good decision in my opinion and I'd prefer it if they two girls end up putting aside their differences and fight together for the sake of humanity.

The ED of the last episode ended up being the actual OP. Despite all the Mizuki Nana hype, I found the song to only be decent. Even though the English lines weren't total Engrish and the rhythm was nice, the song as a whole wasn't able to captivate me. Same thing with the insert songs in this episode; they weren't that memorable. The ED was also similar to the OP as it had some English but a less catchy rhythm; it was also unable to earn a spot inside my group of memorable OPs/EDs this season. I'm suspecting that it'll be a while before an epic song like 逆光のフリューゲル will make its appearance in this series but I will continue looking forward to the insert songs in each and every episode.

0 comments:

Post a Comment