Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Area no Kishi - Episode 2


Kyon Aizawa no Imōto~

What the... Just when the relationship between the two brothers started to improve, the ending had to ruin it. I totally did not expect it to happen but I do believe that it will be useful for Kakeru's character development. But I think that it's not just Kakeru who'll be affected by unfortunate turn of events; the whole team will now need to find a way to move forward due to the absence of their highly-skilled leader. It can be said that the story has now just begun, with this episode and the last being a solid, attention-grabbing prologue.

Aside from the cliffhanger accident, there were two other important parts in this episode. Firstly, the reason behind Kakeru's inability to use his left leg in soccer is explained. I find the reason understandable, but at the same time, it doesn't really seem valid in situations where it's only him and the ball in his surroundings during a game. For example, in that "Red vs. White" match in the episode, there were times where Kakeru would get past the defenders right as Suguru sends him a pass. With no one else around him, I don't understand why he's still hesitating to use his left foot to kick the ball (he's able to use it just fine when he's by himself in the park). Maybe a flashback that shows exactly how the incident happened would give me a better idea of the situation.

Secondly, the reason behind the name of the series gets explained right before the accident. Using the analogy of a king and a knight on the soccer field, I found Suguru's encouragement for Kakeru to be the pinnacle of the episode. It made me realize that Suguru is not an egotistical character after all and that he really wants what's best for his younger brother, even though it may not seem like it. It's unfortunate how he's probably not going to show up anymore for a while, especially since I was starting to appreciate and understand his character.

Area no Kishi is definitely starting to become one of the better shows this season (this is an impressive achievement since I think there are a lot of good anime currently airing). I have a feeling that I won't be disappointed with the character development as it's already been quite good thus far. I'll be waiting in anticipation for the next episode.

0 comments:

Post a Comment