Sunday, January 22, 2012

Area no Kishi - Episode 3


Kakeru, why so serious?

Did I enjoy this episode? Yes. Was I satisfied with it? Not really. True, the flashbacks and drama were great throughout. I was smiling at some parts, while others brought tears to my eyes. Looking at it from a subjective viewpoint, this episode was very well executed. However, a review is incomplete without the mention of very noticeable flaws/issues. Normally, I either overlook or miss minor/questionable events that happen. But when they're not unimportant enough, to the point where they are hard to miss, then there's a problem.

The main problem I had with this episode was the issue regarding the heart transplant. It's ridiculous how receiving a new heart can alter one's personality so drastically. Near the end of the episode, when both Yūsuke and Nana sensed the presence of Suguru in Kakeru, I found that to be stretching the boundaries of possibility. Kakeru's total personality transformation is not only a seemingly rushed attempt at character development, but also a potential detriment to the story, itself. While the cowardly side of Kakeru may not appear again, I find that it is his old self that I am more accustomed to. This change is basically like throwing in a totally new character that's inferior to Suguru in every way. Hopefully, Kakeru being "taken over" (as some people put it) by his brother is just temporary, caused by the side effects of the surgery. I would much rather have him grow and develop as a character in the episodes to come. That way, it'll be easier to understand him, as well as his decisions and thoughts.

The set-up with Nana being the only student that knows of the heart transplant is most likely in preparation for some drama of enormous proportions that'll make whatever happened in this episode seem like nothing. Even though Kakeru is supposedly giving up on soccer now, there's no doubt in my mind that he'll return to the sport (maybe after he finds out about the reason he's alive today?). Looking back, I find it funny how both Suguru and the alien had told Kakeru that he's missing the "heart" (i.e. the desire) for soccer. Who would've known that this was the use of foreshadowing and that Kakeru has now literally obtained this missing "heart." It won't surprise me if the rest of the story is about Kakeru following in his older brother's footsteps by leading Japan's soccer team at the international level.

I admit that it's unfortunate to see Suguru disappear so early in the series. However, I hope that his death will not be in vain and that the story would benefit because of it. Optimistically speaking, maybe Suguru isn't dead. There's a chance that some miracle happened and that he's still alive. Whatever the situation may be, I'll anxiously wait for it to be revealed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment