Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Sword Art Online - Episode 14


Kirito and his harem waifu + other girls

That. Was. Epic. I really regret waiting this long before watching it by prioritizing other shows. In what was the most exciting, tear-jerking, and rageworthy episode of Sword Art Online yet, the game is finally, but surprisingly, cleared, thanks to Kirito's attention to detail. While some people say it's obvious that Heathcliff was Kayaba Akihiko all along after seeing the duel in Episode 10, the possibility didn't cross my mind, making the revelation even more shocking than it might have been for others. Even more shocking were the flurry of twists that followed. Seeing as this is only Episode 14 out of probably 25, I didn't expect SAO (the game) to be cleared. That said, when Asuna overcame her paralysis and managed to shield Kirito from sure death in the nick of time at the cost of her life, I started to sense that the end was near. I mean, in what story does a character who's arguably the fan-favourite get killed off randomly in the middle? And if the first two twists weren't enough, Kirito getting killed really made by jaw drop in awe.

But luckily, his plot armour saved him, allowing for one final strike on Heathcliff to end the game. Personally, I had mixed reactions about that. On one hand, I understand that the story would have hit a brick wall if they let Kirito die since there'd be no point in continuing it without a main character. However, I felt there should've been a better way to justify his resurrection (e.g. Klein using the revival item that Kirito gave him early on) instead of the implication that Asuna's voice gave him the willpower to defy death. But in the end, all that mattered was that Kirito and Asuna got one last moment together before returning to the real world. The surrounding clouds and sunset really magnified the beauty of that scene; it even brought me close to tears. To top it all off, the first thing that Kirito thought of when he woke up in the real world was Asuna, before gathering all the strength left in his weak body to go off in search of her—true OTP right there.

With the Sword Art Online arc now over, as someone who hasn't read the LN, I've heard that there's going to be another VRMMORPG called Alfheim Online (ALO). With absolutely no knowledge on what this game is even about, I go into the next episode with an open mind. And while I'm not sure if it can top SAO, I hope that it will at least be on the same level in terms of quality. Looking forward to it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment