Friday, July 20, 2012

Sword Art Online - Episode 2


キラキラ

Huh? The episode's over already? That didn't feel like 24 minutes at all; it felt more like 5 minutes. As someone who hasn't read the light novel, this episode proved to be very entertaining; full of the action and planning that is required in boss raids within many MMORPGs. It also conveyed the message of teamwork being a necessity, and without it, a party, no matter how large or strong, will fall (i.e. united we stand, divided we fall). What makes everything all the more intense is the aspect of the survival game that everyone faces. The emotional impact of the death of a leader-like figure like Diabel, because of the current state of things, is akin to seeing someone slaughtered in front of your eyes in real life. For Kirito, realizing afterwards that he could've saved his comrade but was just a split second late in doing so, must felt like salt was being rubbed into his wounds.

In human society, people are quick to point fingers at others when a traumatic event or time of crisis occurs. Most of the time, the scapegoat is an innocent individual who was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. In this case, Kirito obtained the last attack bonus, at the cost of his good standing with everyone else. Normally, this would be a bad thing as it'd usually either lead to his downfall at the hands of his former comrades or his isolation/exile from the group. However, being a beta tester (and so-called "cheater"), earning him the name "Beater", Kirito already has previous experience with the game and thus could easily survive by himself. So, by not wanting to see the group fall apart because of the trust issues that were arising due to Diabel's death, Kirito willingly leaves the group, partially because he prefers it this way anyways, equipped with his new Coat of Midnight. While his seemingly sudden change of personality was a bit surprising, I have to admit that Kirito looked very badass in that scene. Although it's bound to happen sooner or later, I really hope Asuna rejoins Kirito quickly; the two make both a nice duo and couple.

At the current rate that the floors are being cleared at, I doubt it's possible for all 100 floors to be cleared in 25 episodes. But if it actually happens, whether by skipping many of the boss battles or speeding through them, I have a feeling it's going to feel rushed. That, and there will be no room for character development, on top of being repetitive, if each episode just showcased battle after battle. It'd be no different from watching someone grind through a game, which definitely gets boring after a while. Thus, I'm going to assume that either the game ends for some reason before Floor 100 is reached by anyone or the show's going to get another 24-26 episode season. As for my impression of SAO after two episodes, I've got to say that I'm enjoying it more than I had expected. I do admit some of the hype has got to me so I'm less willing to criticize it, but overall, Sword Art Online is one of the better series this season.

The ED makes its debut in this episode~
ED: Tomatsu Haruka (Asuna) does a great job with this song. While the OP does fit better with the overall theme of the show, I think I personally like the ED just a tad more. I prefer its melody over the OP's, while the vocals are both equally good, in my opinion. But this is only if I had to choose one over the other. I think it's hard to compare songs that are very different in terms of tempo and style.

0 comments:

Post a Comment