Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Hyouka - Episode 5


What is this? English puns in my Japanese cartoons?!

And with that, the mystery behind Hyouka (the title of the first volume of the Classic Literature Club's anthology; not the series) is solved. This episode once again shows just how much of a genius Hōtarō is and how, if he puts his mind to it, he can solve anything. The theme of "rosy" and "grey" colours arises again as Hōtarō begins to get tired of his "grey-coloured" life. Knowing this, I'm pretty sure that the theme of colours plays a large role in the story. Narrowing it down a bit, two of the main, unsolved mysteries right now have to do with Oreki Tomoe and Sekitani Jun, relatives of Hōtarō and Eru, the protagonists of the story, respectively.

Like the librarian said, it's amazing how the four of them (read: Hōtarō) managed to almost retell exactly what happened 45 years ago. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some were disappointed by the false sense of realism they were given in the first few episodes with those simple but amusing mysteries. True, it may just be that Hōtarō is one of those extremely detail-oriented people who are born with the gift of being able to solve mysteries, but with the limited amount of information that was given, doesn't it still seem even a little far-fetched? Or maybe it's just that I'm the opposite of him and can't put the pieces of a mystery together to save my life. In the end, regardless of how he did it, Hōtarō must have felt at least a sense of joy seeing Eru's smile. This may possibly become the turning point in which he starts pursuing a "rose-coloured" high school life.

The two biggest mysteries left now are Tomoe and Jun. I'm starting to wonder whether Tomoe will even show up in this series given that she's supposedly "travelling" all the time. And despite her seemingly airheaded personality, I think that she too, just like her brother, is very intelligent, as shown by what Hōtarō believes to be her plan to get him to change his lifestyle by telling him to join the Classic Literature Club. While she's still alive and well, Jun's status is still "Missing". It's not known whether he's dead or alive, though I believe it's the latter. His appearance later on in the series would definitely pique my interest, especially seeing how he will confront his niece after his ten-year disappearance. I still believe that there's a possibility that Tomoe is acquainted with Jun since both their geographical locations are either unknown or constantly changing. I'm anxious to find out whether I'm right or wrong but I don't think I'll get my answer any time soon.

1 comment: