Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Hyouka - Episode 3


Chibi Eru!

Not surprisingly, the "confession" wasn't anything love-related. Instead, it had to do with Eru's past. I had always been thinking why Eru joined the Classic Literature Club in the first place. I mean, for Hōtarō, he joined because of his sister, while Satoshi just wanted to join his friend and Mayaka wished to be with her love interest. But Eru's reason for being in the club was not explained until this episode. It turns out that her uncle, who disappeared after going to India seven years ago (maybe he knows Hōtarō's sister?), was the reason why she decided to join the club. However, the mystery of his disappearance, as well as the words he said to Eru that were so traumatizing to the point where she forgot them, takes a backseat for the majority of the episode, in favour of another showing of Hōtarō's surprising analytic and deductive skills.

I'll be skipping past the mini-mystery since it was nothing more than entertainment, as opposed to being important to the plot. Now, with the road towards solving the mystery regarding Eru's uncle slowly materializing, Hōtarō's true skills will now be put to the test. I'm probably just overthinking things, but I feel that the old building Eru was staring at in Episode 1 will reveal its importance soon; maybe it is the key to solving this mystery. But before that, solving the "sub-mystery" of the missing first volume of the anthologies will be the club's first priority. Given Hōtarō's abilities this should be solvable within the next two episodes, with a high chance of it being the next.

Personally, I feel the story hasn't been progressing as fast as I would have liked. To put it bluntly, if the art and character designs weren't as good, I don't think I'd be as inclined to watch each episode. Nonetheless, I hope the story begins to pick up from here. Looking forward to seeing more of moe Eru and Hōtarō's deductions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment