Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Senki Zesshou Symphogear - Episode 9, 10


Still sticking with GetWet for this series so that's the reason why the reviews are so late. Hopefully, the last three episodes will be released soon.

Episode 9
The story is already going downhill and the producers decided to throw in half an episode of slice-of-life content!? If I had wanted to watch three girls going on a random date, I'd go pick some random school-life show and watch that instead. Having them spend lots of precious time showing the three do things that I could see if I watched K-ON! or something was disappointing (since this anime is supposedly about music and fighting). It's almost as if the script writers couldn't think of anything for this particular episode. On the bright side, seeing Tsubasa in casual clothes was a treat.

Thankfully, the concert at the end saved the episode. Although it wasn't up to par with Episode 1's (which was the only reason why I decided to continue watching this series), I still found it to be quite entertaining and enjoyable. Best moment of the concert was when Kanade's voice rung loud and clear inside Tsubasa's head; that was a very touching moment. But the funny thing was, the Noise attacks were happening at the same time as the concert. Way to put the civilians in danger, concert organizers. All in all, this was a subpar episode of a subpar series. I really hope it gets better, although I doubt it will.

Episode 10
It's always good to start the episode off with amusing Engrish; it sets the tone for the rest of the it. Jokes aside, although it wasn't explicitly stated, I think it's safe to say that Ryōko is Fine (or she is Fine's underling). Even though she got wounded, I think she's nowhere near dead. I'm expecting her to make an appearance soon, revealing her true intentions at the same time. Because of this development, I admit that Symphogear is starting to get back on track. The fighting in this episode helped to increase its entertainment value as well.

That epic cliffhanger at the end was placed perfectly. My guess is that the tower was just a diversion so that no one would focus on the academy. And now, Fine and/or Ryōko must be there carrying out the rest of their/her plan. Miku will definitely be involved one way or another, possibly getting her own Symphogear (hinted by the OP). As the series reaches its last three episodes, it may just have what it takes to save itself from the 6/10 that it's currently getting from me. My hopes are not high, but an epic final battle to end everything would be nice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment