Monday, April 23, 2012

Sakamichi no Apollon - Episode 2


Love at first sight <3

There's just something about this show that captivates me. On the surface, it looks like another typical slice-of-life with jazz music added as a distinguishing element. However, while watching this episode, I knew that was not all there was to it. The sense of peace and relaxation that it instilled in me was very comforting. Just seeing the three of them go through their simple, daily lives is entertaining in and of itself. Furthermore, I think one of the main reasons why I enjoy watching this anime so much is because I can really relate to Kaoru.

While this may be more personal and slightly self-depreciative, Kaoru's weakness and social awkwardness reminds me of myself in some ways. Many of Kaoru's self-reflective soliloquies made me think about the state of my own life. Despite this depressing outlook, in the end, both Kaoru and I managed to find people with whom we can enjoy life with, which is why I am still able to relate to his character even now.

With the introduction of two new characters, the apparent love triangle that was beginning to appear last episode seems to have faded away. Instead, it has been replaced with what I'd call a "love line" because the direction each character's feelings point in forms a literal line. From observation, it is easy to conclude that the crushes go as follows:
     Kaoru -> Ritsuko -> Sentarō -> New Girl
This approach to romance is interesting given that a lot of romances in anime these days contain love triangles (or polygons). Not sure where Junichi fits in here but, if the "line" was to be preserved, he'd have to be the subject of interest for the "new girl". At the end of the day, there is the potential for a lot of drama and heartbreak for many of the characters. And if that were to happen, will music be able to bring them all back together?

1 comment:

  1. Hey ! nice blog post. DO you have any idea of the name of the song that plays at that exact moment when sentaro sees the new girl?

    ReplyDelete