Thursday, April 12, 2012

Jormungand - Episode 1


Why, hello there, Koko!

Best line of the episode: "Her name is Koko. She is loco. I said 'Oh, no!'"
In all seriousness, I greatly enjoyed the first episode of Jormungand. All the action and killing that happened was really exciting to watch. I feel that Jonah has the potential to develop as a character given that his backstory is still a mystery. It's interesting how, like Koko said, he hates guns but heavily depends on them. This main character pairing works extremely well in terms of comedy with Jonah being the "straight man" and Koko being the "funny (wo)man", in this case. With good amounts of action, comedy and ownage delivered by Koko and co., Jormungand may turn out to be one of the better shows in this mediocre season.

The most interesting and mysterious character of the series thus far is undoubtedly Jonah. All that's known about him is that his parents were killed by a prototype military weapon and that he hates, but depends on, weapons. The trust that Koko places in him surprised me since he's theoretically supposed to want to kill her because of her profession. Having a character develop from being emotionless to having emotions is very common and I think that's what's going to happen to Jonah as the series goes on. Second to Jonah in terms of ability to intrigue viewers would be Koko. I found it amusing how she has such a playful personality but, at the same time, can really show how tactically skilled and prepared she is when it comes to important operations. I personally really like her character and am looking forward to seeing her outsmart the enemies to come.

While the premise of the story didn't necessarily "grab my attention", the presence of guns did. I went in expecting lots of firefights and am glad that I wasn't disappointed. But what I enjoyed the most about this episode was that the bloodshed wasn't meaningless at all and that there was a reason behind the actions of the HCLI. Tactical warfare is something I enjoy seeing and Koko seems like someone who is capable of "thinking ahead of the game", so to speak. Thus, I was overjoyed when she started explaining her (then already successful) plan to Mr. Kroshkin, causing his eyes to open wide in shock. I'm particularly hoping for more of these kinds of events in the future episodes of Jormungand.

To be honest, this season's anime OPs and EDs have been quite disappointing.
OP: That Engrish in the beginning (and in some parts during the song) was unsettling. It's not that Kawada Mami is a bad singer; it's just that she can't speak English very smoothly. The instrumentals in the song were quite good and I enjoyed the tempo. However, I didn't really like the overly-synthesized (not sure if that's the correct term) vocals and the overall melody just didn't 'click' for me.
ED: Decent song, wrong genre. For a series like Jormungand, I'd expect a more fast-paced (if not, moderately fast, at least) ending song. The song was sung by Yanagi Nagi so I didn't have any problems with the vocals, though.
Preview Song: An epic song that needs to be played during every preview in each episode!

4 comments:

  1. i agree that preview song its cool
    btw, do you know who sung that music ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I do not.
      Oh, but how I wish I did...
      It'll probably be in the OST, though.

      Delete
  2. I liked this episode as well, and I'll continue watching this series. It definetely has the potential of being one of the better ones this season, and I loved how quirky Koko is. I can definetely see that the relationship between her and Jonah has a lot of potential to be well developed, considering, as you mentioned, they contrasts between them.

    The action also reminded me a bit of Black Laggoon. In fact, the overall atmosphere is very similar. Still waiting for a Revy-esque character to pop up there. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. awsome and i think it will be better next week! i hope that the preview song is longer.

    ReplyDelete