Sunday, May 13, 2012

Senki Zesshou Symphogear - Episode 11


Well, at least the art isn't that bad...

Didn't see this coming, did you? Well, neither did I. It seems like GetWet is slowly (and I do mean "slowly") finishing up this series. Usually, being this delayed is not a good sign at all. But since Symphogear has fallen below my expectations, all I care about is that it's actually completed, regardless of when.

However, to my surprise, this episode was actually quite entertaining; my expectations were lowered drastically since Episode 1 so "quite entertaining" may be an overstatement. Now that the true (and obvious) identity of Ryōko is revealed, things are starting to heat up. I appreciated the fact there is actually an antagonist in the story, rather than just having the protagonists continuously fighting to protect people from the Noise. But on the other hand, I felt that waiting eleven full episodes before revealing this fact was unnecessary and resulted in the loss of many viewers.

During the episode, there were two scenes that particularly stood out to me, while the others kind of fell flat in terms of entertainment value. Firstly, the fight between Genjurō and Ryōko was amusing to watch. Seeing a weaponless human being (with superhuman strength, though) being able to hold his own, let alone dominate, against an armed opponent came as unexpected. It's unfortunate how his emotions got the better of him in the end as I would've absolutely loved to have seen him crush Fine right then and there. But then again, there wouldn't be anything left for the story after that, now would there?

And so, this brings me to the second notable scene. With Genjurō unable to stop Ryōko, the responsibility was then handed to Tsubasa, Hibiki, and Chris—the three Symphogear users. Now, you'd expect the battle to be one-sided given that it's three-on-one but, like in many typical anime, the antagonist is always much stronger than the protagonist(s), and this was no different. But what surprised me the most was when Chris, the girl who was previously disgusted with the idea of helping and trusting others, used her Swan Song for the sake of everyone opposing Fine. That, in and of itself, showed that she has developed as a character due to the cliché idea of "friendship".

Now, I may have spoiled myself a bit here, but I heard from a friend that Symphogear had a chance to redeem itself near the end, but failed to do so. I'd be lying if I said knowing this wouldn't affect my outlook on the next two episodes. In fact, I'm a bit skeptical and negative about them, to be honest. Despite this, I will try to watch them with as little subjectivity as possible and I hope that they're not as bad as I hear.

0 comments:

Post a Comment