Saturday, June 23, 2012

Senki Zesshou Symphogear - Episode 12, 13


Congratulations GetWet on finally completing this trainwreck of a series. As a viewer, it was tough to watch so I extend my condolences out to all the staff who had the misfortune of being involved in the subbing of this show. Kudos to you all for battling through it... Okay, it's not as bad as I make it seem, but Symphogear definitely didn't meet expectations.

Episode 12
Just when it seemed like the show was starting to redeem itself with the heroic sacrifices made by Chris and Tsubasa, the ending screws it all up with the two girls coming back to life, all powered up, with Hibiki included. Now instead of the episode showcasing some altruism, we get the good 'ol "the dead revive to take down the enemy and everyone lives happily ever after" route. If this had been a shōnen action show, I would be able to look past this. But given that it's an anime aimed towards an older audience (if you disagree, find me an anime aimed at a younger audience that has scenes with nude girls and I will retract this statement), one would expect a more solid and less childish story. To be honest, the ending alone made me lose all hope for the series. I'm seriously hoping it was just a tease and that the girls didn't actually revive. It'll be a miracle if the last episode manages to save this show from dropping to a 5/10 (from a 6/10) on my ratings.

Episode 13
Wow... words cannot describe how disappointed I feel right now. On the bright side, I'm glad that I finally completed what's possibly going to end up being the worst anime of 2012. This whole episode was a complete trainwreck with many things being cliché and/or seemingly forced, especially when it came to the "emotional" scenes. The only saving grace in this show is the music, and even then, it pales in comparison to that of other series. The worst part is that the first episode seemed really good (which is what made me commit to continue watching the show). Furthermore, the introductory scene in the first episode about Hibiki's "death" turned into one of the most idiotic endings ever where she is actually alive but just had to keep it a secret for reasons not even mentioned.

So, yes, Senki Zesshou Symphogear is a horrible anime indeed. I know there are still people who like it but I think the general consensus is that it didn't live up to its hype. Right now, I'm not even sure if I'll be able to muster the brainpower to write a more or less objective review without unconsciously having my thoughts on how subjectively bad it was taking over. Well, at least it'll all over when I finish reviewing it...

0 comments:

Post a Comment