Sunday, January 08, 2012

Area no Kishi - Episode 1


\/ (^ o ^) \/

Finally, an actual fansub group picked this show up!
I was really impressed with the first episode of Area no Kishi. It worked great as an introductory episode since the characters and the main story were both introduced with quite some detail. I'm still not too fond of the whole soccer idea but that may change over time. I appreciate the fact that this anime seems to be taking a realistic approach to the sport (unlike other soccer anime where superpowers are unnecessarily given to the protagonist) and I hope it stays this way. The episode was wrapped up well with a cliché but fitting cliffhanger line, which gives viewers something to think about.

I found the introductions of the characters to be really well done. Solid foundations have been built for the three main characters' personalities and I expect continued development throughout the series. As of now, Suguru looks to be the tough guy who puts on a cool and cold front in the public. On the other hand, his brother, Kakeru, is depicted as the total opposite - a cutesy little boy who is overshadowed by his admirable and talented older brother. Add Nana, the all-too-common childhood friend, to the mix and you get a potential love triangle. The way I see it, this generic but interesting cast carries the potential for success.

As much as I liked the characters, the introduction of the story definitely takes the crown for this episode. There were so many questions that arose as I made my way through the episode. How was the relationship between the Aizawa brothers and Nana in the past? What happened to Kakeru's left leg? Who is that mysterious person behind the alien mask? This is really a case of "so many questions, so few answers." With that being said, it is actually a good thing since this shows the anime's ability to engage and entertain its viewers. The only concern I have right now involves the amount of time that will be spent on soccer games. I understand that this is an anime about soccer, but I just hope the producers consider the people in the audience who're unfamiliar with the sport.

Focusing on the three questions I stated in the last paragraph, my thoughts on each one of them are as follows:

Q1) How was the relationship between the Aizawa brothers and Nana in the past?
From the picture on Surugu's desk and the flashbacks, it seems like the three got along really well. I'm guessing that ever since Nana left, the relationship between the Aizawa brothers started to go downhill. And despite Nana's return, things don't look like they'll ever be the same. The animosity between the brothers is probably due to Suguru's discontent with Kakeru's halfhearted dedication to soccer.

Q2) What happened to Kakeru's left leg?
It's obvious that something traumatic happened, and the short and vague flashback doesn't help in any way. I'm guess it has something to do with Kakeru injuring himself while attempting to use his left leg to do something during a soccer game. Another possibility is that Kakeru got tackled by a member of the opposing team in a game, which resulted in a serious injury.

Q3) Who is that mysterious person behind the alien mask?
My two main suspects are Nana and Suguru since they are undoubtedly skilled at soccer. I'm assuming they both know what happened to Kakeru's left leg since they seemed to be present in that flashback. This mystery person's height makes me doubt it's Suguru but "its" seemingly flat chest also makes me doubt that it's Nana. Whether it's a character already introduced or a totally new face, I feel this "alien" is going to play a significant role in the future.

0 comments:

Post a Comment